Today Dave and I sit down with Phil Derksen of WP SimplePay Pro to talk through best practices in running a WordPress product business. Phil and Dave are now veterans of the WP plugin space, and now that Craig is finding his way into the WordPress dev community it’s a nice time to have this roundtable discussion.
In this episode we talk through:
- Managing developers, even when you’re not actively contributing to your codebase
- Pricing in WordPress, and how to manage support of Free vs. Paid users
- Testing for future WordPress releases and different hosting environments
- Imposter Syndrome – how do we all feel about not being the main developers on our projects
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Pippin’s WordCamp US 2016 talk – Two of EDD’s biggest mistakes at 19:00, including the freemium + paid add-ons model.
- Premium plugins containing add-on functionality within a single plugin.
- Chris Lema’s WordCamp talk on dealing with the imposter syndrome.
- We didn’t discuss this one but thought I’d add it.
- Phil’s been using Kyle Brown’s WPSaaS.net support service for a while now and is loving it. WordPress Support as a Service. Love it!
Connect with Phil on Twitter!